Monday, December 28, 2009

A Place For Everything and Everything in it's Place

I'm going to use my husband as an example, sorry Ryan! Ryan finished our basement which was fantastic, but when he was done he left his tools and supplies in three different places, half of two shelves in the garage, part of the food storage room and so much of the utility room it gives me a headache. This is what happens; I want to hang pictures, but where are the nails, the hammer, measuring tape and the level? That's right they could possibly be in three different places, nor are they ever in the same spot twice. It takes me forever to find them! I went and bought a picture hanging kit and use my scrap booking hammer, and sewing measuring tape because I know where they are at. Why don't I just organize this huge mess for him? Because he wants to do it himself, he's afraid he won't be able to find anything if I put it away - seriously.

To save yourself time, money, energy and frustration there must be a place for everything. I going to use toys as an example. Eight years ago my son was given the Fisher Price farm. I bought a container to put all the little pieces in and stored it with the farm. We still have all the original pieces, which has been a fun toy for all my kids. By keeping like things together the kids can play with what they want, when they want to and don't have to dig for lost pieces. I got labels from my friend at Studio JK to help the kids and their friends put away the toys in the right box. I also encourage kids to clean up one thing before getting out another, but sometimes the Polly Pockets play in the Barbie's house, or the dinosaurs play in the Radix castle, no big deal. But when it's time to clean up, everything should be put away correctly, hopefully :)

2 comments:

  1. You wanna come clean out my cold storage?!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo- is that cold storage offer on the table? That is one job I'm going to tackle when it gets a little warmer... I'll keep you posted!

    ReplyDelete