Thursday, January 14, 2010

Deep Cleaning Part 3: Door Knobs, Light Switches and Bannisters


Something gross happens at my house; I have a door that leads to the basement. A lot of tween aged boys play in my basement. Occasionally I'll put my hand on it and it is sticky, and textured, with what I really don't want to know. I really, really don't! I get out my trusty all purpose, disinfecting cleaner and rag and clean it off, both sides and around the knob on the sides of the door because I'll notice fingerprints. Then I see the bathroom door, it looks highly suspicious as well, so I clean that. Then I'll move from room to room inspecting door knobs and doors and cleaning them as needed. You know what is so close to most door knobs? A light switch, they get really gross too so I wipe those down as well and before you know it all my door knobs and light switches have been cleaned, then I see the banister... One day I was walking up the stairs and noticed my white banister had black streaks I thought the paint might be wearing off, but it wasn't, it was filth! What ever makes white banisters have black streaks, once again I really don't want to know the details. Is this reminding you of the book "If you Give a Mouse a Cookie?" That is what it feels like, one thing leads to another and some days if time permits I'll end up cleaning the baseboards and outlets too, but let's leave those out of this post. There has been so much talk of the importance of hand washing to prevent the spread if H1N1, the common cold, influenza and worse. So why not take the time to clean the things we all touch multiple times a day, door knobs, the area around it and light switches. They are such small areas and you know the places in your home that are used much more than others. You can get it done fast, or get the kids to pitch in! In college during "white glove" inspections we used to have to use a Q-tip to clean the edges, if they are that bad go for it, or take off the light switch and clean it and the part that sticks through the plate, just don't shock yourself! Once they are thoroughly cleaned it will be that much easier to maintain. Have fun...

1 comment:

  1. Here's my question: Do you clean all this as fast as you blog it? If so, you are my IDOL!

    I do have a question. I have been working on the dishwasher. It seems like I vaguely remember being told that you should run an empty cycle on the dishwasher with vinegar. Is that true? Should I try it?

    ReplyDelete