Thursday, January 7, 2010

Levels of Organization

I googled home organization and there were over 23 million hits, crazy. I sorted through the first couple of pages and found some really great information on HGTV. These are my thoughts, the above picture is beautiful, stunning really. I love all the labeled, color coordinated storage items. If I lived all alone, or ran a military base for a home, my home office area would look just like that, but I don't live alone and I don't run a military base.
One of my ten year old son's chores is to unload the dishwasher. My kitchen has a total of five drawers, (five drawers, really, that's all) one is tiny, it's for oven mitts and bibs, one holds baggies, Ziploc's, tin foil, plastic wrap etc. One is strictly for silverware, and the other two are for cooking utensils, measuring cups, teaspoons, pizza cutters and so forth. Here is the problem, when I unload the dishwasher I'm quite particular about what cooking utensils go in what drawer and in what basket in each drawer. He however just wants the job done as quick as possible, all cooking gear goes in one drawer, whether it shuts or not. I've shown him where stuff should go, but he just doesn't care like I do. I had a choice to make, do I want those two drawers just the way I want it, or do I want to unload the dishwasher all the time again? I chose to rearrange the drawers whenever it drives me nutty and not unload the dishwasher two to three times a day.
This all brings me back to my original title, levels of organization. We need to decide how organized we want and/or need to be in all areas of our life. I really believe that. It's also a very personal decision, but I think the point is to make the decision. For example, my mother is the most organized person I know, her closets are color coordinated and all the clothes face the same direction. I'll take pictures for my closet post. However, there is one area of her life that is a total disaster; pictures, photo albums, slides, from at least two generations back to the present are in boxes in a closet. She just doesn't have the time for it right now, she'll do it when she isn't working anymore.
Now decide! How organized do you want to be? What area's are more important to you than others? As for me, I like everything pretty organized (surprised?) but currently my garage is a disaster and so is my food storage, but it's all on the list to do!
TIP: The easiest way for me to get organized is containers, I love them. Seriously I do. IKEA, Target, Wal-Mart all have great containers in all shapes, sizes and colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment